Thursday, April 8, 2010

Potty Training


We are at the end of day 3 of potty training Parker and it is quite possibly one of the hardest things I have ever had to do! After kicking and screaming at the thought of potty training in January, he finally agreed this week to give it a try, and was even excited to put on his Lightening McQueen underwear. On Tuesday, we just seemed to be on off schedules. We would take him in to the bathroom about every 30 min, but he would have accidents in between that time frame instead of going when we took him. I sat with him in the bathroom for 45 min Tuesday night playing with bubbles the entire time to try and distract him into accidentally going. No Luck. Wednesday morning, Cassidy sat with him for 2 hours with nothing. We had brought everything into the bathroom; books, puzzles, bubbles, games, and his drawing easel. He was having a great time, and didn't even seem to mind sitting on the toilet for that prolonged amount of time. I know it may seem extreme, but we knew that we just needed him to go once in order for him to understand what it was that we wanted him to do. After going through this and coming out with nothing, I jokingly said to Cassidy, "We need to get a portable DVD player and just put it in there with him." Cassidy responded by saying, "That's not a bad idea." And with that, our bathroom was turned into a home theater. Parker prefers the lights off, and he just sits there on the toilet watching his movie. After another 2 1/2 hour session Wednesday afternoon, Parker finally went! Hooray! He had a pretty good day today...his Dora chart is gradually filling up with more and more stickers. I will be so happy when I feel like we can leave the house again!

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck!! Potty training is so frustrating. It sounds like he is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! I hope that he gets the hang of it and soon ( for the sake of bot of you!) GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potty training stinks. The best advice I got about it was, "If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Quit and try again in three months." But what do I know. My mother in law trained Victor after I failed THREE TIMES.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori-I loved the opening of your entry with "Potty training is one the hardest things I've ever done." I remember telling my mom that I have a BA from BYU, a master's degree from USU, have played competitive sports etc.....and yet, potty training was the HARDEST thing I've ever done! Love the new home theater. Market the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete