Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day

XOXO
My cute little Valentine's
 Lollipop now, Mom!


 Breakfast: heart-shaped french toast with banana, strawberry and yogurt
 Heart attacked by the YW.  Such a fun surprise!
 Walking the "boardwalk"
 Lunchtime @ Calico Basin

On our hike, taking a break to play in the sand
Parker enjoying his Martinelli at dinner

Parker happened to have Valentine's Day off of school, so we decided to check out a hiking area that I've been wanting to go to.  It is right next to Red Rock, but there is no entrance fee to get in.  Anytime that the kids know we are packing a picnic lunch, they expect to eat that picnic lunch as soon as we get to our destination.  Well, we got there at 10:30, and I had been planning on at least doing one of the hikes first before digging in to our lunch.  I'm going to have to stop telling them when I pack lunches because when we get there and I say we're going to wait a bit, they act like they are starving and haven't eaten in days! HA! I managed to hold them off until a little after 11. We walked the boardwalk and read the signs, but I knew all hope was lost when we came back to the picnic area and there was another family there already eating their lunch. After lunch, we started our trail hike.  After looking at the path, I was sure that I would need to carry Gavin for most of it. Well, he insisted on walking the whole thing! He held on to my hand and maneuvered around the rocks like a champ.  At one point, we were able to stop and rest and watch some rock climbers who were climbing pretty close to us.  Parker found a fun climbing area with big rocks that acted more like stepping stones one after the other.  All 3 kids enjoyed running from one rock to the next.  I'm sad that my camera was dead by that point so I wasn't able to get any pictures.

A big blessing happened on our way home. I rely heavily on my GPS, so I was slightly worried when my phone died half way through our hike, but I felt pretty confident in knowing my way home from the area where we were.  Well, the only way that I knew to get home, was blocked off, forcing me to either wait who knows how long, or turn around and find another way out.  All the cars around me were turning around, so I figured they must be on to something and know something that I didn't know.  We turned around, past Red Rock and the road just kept going and going.  I was starting to get really concerned because I had no idea where this road was going to take us, and not very confident in my ability of knowing where we were once we did reach the highway.  My phone had died, turned off on it's own, there was no question about that. However, I felt prompted to try turning it on. It worked! I was able to have enough battery to put in our home address, get directions, and copy those directions onto a piece of paper before my phone shut off again.  I am so grateful because when we reached the point where I would have had to make a decision, I would have had no clue where to go had it not been for the GPS.  What a huge blessing for me!

I had had hopes of making a special dinner for the family that night, but we left the gym late, and I just wanted something easy, so we picked up Cafe Rio on the way home and enjoyed that with our individual bottles of Martinelli's.  The kids thought those were pretty cool.  Maybe sometime soon, Cassidy and I will get to go out on a date, but I really enjoy our tradition of making the actual day of Valentine's Day about the love of our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment