My neighbor, Mickelle made these cute "Big Bro" &"Big Sis" shirts for the kids to wear to the hospital
Gavin brought presents for Parker and Riley. Isn't he so thoughtful? :)
Riley and Gavin
Go Huskers! :)
Riley, Gavin and Daddy
Parker and Gavin
Ready to go home!
Around 6 pm on Thursday, March 29th, I started having contractions. They started out very mild. In fact I was at my neighbors house at the time, and I didn't even mention to her what was going on because I hadn't experienced any contractions with this pregnancy and I just assumed they were Braxton Hicks and that they would pass soon. Afterall, I was only 35 weeks and 2 days! They progressively got worse and more frequent as time went on. Cassidy was still at school and I struggled reading stories and doing the usual bedtime routine with the kids in between contractions. When Cassidy got home 3 hours after the start of contractions, I had already called the on call doctor and was accepting the fact that we would probably need to go to the hospital. Within 40 minutes of him being home, I had already had 7 or 8 contractions, with the last few getting more and more painful. We made arrangements for the kids, and took off to the hospital. When we arrived, I was dilated to a 4. It was soon determined that I would be admitted, but that they would give me something to attempt to stop the contractions. They weren't very hopeful that it would actually work, and it didn't. It was at that point that we faced the realization that this is really happening, our baby is coming this morning. (by then it was the early hours of the morning on Friday) I got an epidural, and was able to sleep for a few hours. Dr. Maly came around 8:15 am to break my water and after an hour or so of no progress, I was given some pitocin to start up the contractions again. Finally, around 10:50, I was ready to push. Luckily, I only had to push for 3 minutes. Nurses from NICU were present at the birth anticipating that with being born so early, Gavin would need to spend at least the first 24 hours in the NICU. He was 6 lbs 9 oz and 19.5 in and did not seem like a preemie at all. He was able to stay with us and did not need to go to the NICU. Due to the unexpected, early delivery, my parents were still serving their mission and were unable to come to Lincoln as planned. We have been so blessed by the outpouring of love and support from our family and friends. My brother and sister-in-law dropped everything and drove the 3 hours so they could spend the weekend fixing meals, preparing freezer meals, doing laundry, taking Parker to soccer, setting things up, and watching our kids. We are so lucky to have family members so close! I still can hardly believe that he is here and that he is so healthy. We are so very blessed and love this little guy so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment