Saturday, October 4, 2014

St. George Marathon


Marathon #2 done! (3:28)



After I finished my one and only marathon in Park City, Ut in 2008, I never planned to run another marathon ever again. Like, ever.  It was simply an item on my bucket list that I could then check off and move on.  Well, I was content with having merely (barely) completed the marathon for quite some time, but then I started to really hate my time and be embarrassed of it.  I ran in races of shorter distances and did quite well and began to let my mind wander as to how that would translate to 26.2 miles. I slowly began to contemplate maybe possibly running another marathon and actually maybe training for it this time. Without giving it too much thought, I thought I would try my luck and throw my name in the hat for the St. George Marathon lottery.  I guess I didn't really expect to get in, so when I did, I was filled with conflicting emotions of "yay, I got in!" to "oh crap, now I need to actually start training and run a marathon!"  It wasn't always easy training for a marathon...in Las Vegas...in the summer.  I spent way too many hours on treadmills trying to get the miles in, and woke up many times before the sun in an attempt to beat the heat.  I trained for 4 months and was able to not only beat my previous time, but qualify for Boston. Half way through my training, I began to realize that Boston might be attainable and I set that as my goal.  Now I find myself once again, filled with mixed emotions of "Yay, I qualified" to "Oh crap, now I have to run another marathon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment